Auto Accident Checklist
If an accident happens:
- Help or get help for injured people.
- Warn motorists (use flares, hazard lights).
- Call 911 to contact the police or California Highway Patrol if an injury or death occurs.
- Use the last page of this pamphlet to take notes on the accident-write down information about the other driver and car, witnesses, passengers, accident location and more.
- Cooperate fully with law officers, but speak with your insurance company or insurance agent and/or lawyer before accepting any blame.
After an accident:
- Call or see Barton Chiropractic at 685-2002 to evaluate your injuries.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days if someone is injured or killed or if damage to either car is more than $750.
- Make a claim with your insurance company and/or the other driver's insurance company to pay for your injuries and losses.
- Contact your insurance company and/or a lawyer if you are sued.
- Contact a lawyer if you need legal advice or assistance in making a claim or in dealing with your insurance company.
2. What should I do if someone is injured?
4. What information should I gather at the accident scene?
6. What if I get a ticket?
9. Do I have to report the accident?
11. What should I do if the other driver does not have insurance?
13. What if I want to make a claim for my injuries?